Dianne Feinstein at it again: Says NSA’s ‘Big Brother’ Surveillance Would Have Detected 9/11
If the NSA‘s ridiculous surveillance machine would have detected 9/11, we would have ignored it like all the other intelligence at the time. But here’s what Al Alam is reporting from Wall Street Journal:
Perpetual NSA cheerleader Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) published an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal on Sunday arguing that if we had had the NSA spying program prior to the 9/11 attacks, “we would have detected the impending attack that killed 3,000 Americans.” Therefore, systematic violations of the Fourth Amendment as a matter of policy is justified.
Well, I’m sold!
Feinstein’s primary piece of evidence for this argument is that NSA Director Keith Alexander says so. The problem is that NSA Director Alexander says a lot of things that aren’t true. Back in June, he claimed that NSA’s bulk collection of call records and Internet activity disrupted 54 “terror plots.” Early this month, the Senate Judiciary Committee got Alexander to admit that this claim was wrong and misleading.
Sens. Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Mark Udall (D-CO) said the NSA dragnet call data program, which is what most people are up in arms about, “played little or no role” in the disruption of these terrorist plots.
So far, there is only one case that government has cited to justify the vast surveillance both at home and abroad. And no, it by no means foiled a second 9/11. The case is that of Basaaly Moalin, a Somali immigrant who was living in San Diego when he decided to send al-Shabab $8,500. Somehow, the surveillance programs narrowed the search for Moalin, who could have easily been caught through more traditional law enforcement procedures.
As Yochai Benkler explained at the Guardian, “this single successful prosecution, under a vague criminal statute, which stopped a few thousand dollars from reaching one side in a local conflict in the Horn of Africa, is the sole success story for the NSA bulk domestic surveillance program.” If you ask me, this doesn’t count as an argument in favor of these NSA programs.
- No, NSA Surveillance Wouldn’t Have Prevented 9/11 And It Hasn’t Foiled a Single Terror Plot (antiwar.com)
- Dianne Feinstein Defends NSA Spying Because… Well, She Isn’t Sure (personalliberty.com)
- Dianne Feinstein Can’t Come Up With One Good Defense Of The NSA (libertycrier.com)
- Dianne Feinstein Accidentally Confirms That NSA Tapped The Internet Backbone (reallibertymedia.com)
- Diane Feinstein still can’t defend NSA (rare.us)
- Sen. Feinstein Fails to Justify NSA Surveillance (reason.com)
- Dianne Feinstein Accidentally Confirms That NSA Tapped The Internet Backbone (blacklistednews.com)
- In Wall Street Journal, Senator Dianne Feinstein Insidiously Defends NSA Surveillance (dissenter.firedoglake.com)