Home demolition in Jerusalem: “They want our land. We need help to protect it.” | International Solidarity Movement
Nureddin Amro and his brother Sharif Amro and their families were awakened at 5:30 am by over a hundred Israeli soldiers who came to demolish their home in the Wadi Al-Joz neighborhood of occupied East Jerusalem on Tuesday, March 31, 2015. Both men are blind. The brothers live with their ill 79-year-old mother, their spouses and children. Nureddin has three young children, Sharif has four; all are under 14. Israeli soldiers pointed their guns in through the windows of the house while the children were still asleep and cut the electricity and phone lines to the house.“We were asleep. They banged on the doors and shouted. Soldiers completely surrounded the neighborhood. There were dogs and aircraft. It was frightening,” said Nureddin. “There was no advanced notice. No reason given. They announced that they came to demolish the house and they started doing it while we were still inside.”
At least six people have lost their lives in a car bomb attack in Egypt’s restive Sinai Peninsula, police sources say.The Egyptian police sources said on Sunday that at least 44 other individuals suffered injuries in the deadly attack.The sources added that a police station in North Sinai’s provincial capital of el-Arish was the target of the bombing. The facade of the police station and several buildings in the vicinity of the station were damaged.Egyptian medics also confirmed the casualties of the bomb attack, saying one of the victims was a police officer.There has been no immediate claim of responsibility for the assault on the police station.Earlier in the day, at least six Egyptian soldiers were killed and two others injured in a bomb attack on their armored vehicle near the North Sinai town of Sheikh Zuweid.
The Saudi foreign minister has rejected calls for an end to aggression against Yemen, saying the attacks are meant to help what it calls the country’s legitimate authority.Saud al-Faisal said Sunday Riyadh and its allies have launched airstrikes on Yemen to help what he called the country’s legitimate authority, a reference to the fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.Faisal made the remarks at a press conference with his French counterpart, Laurent Fabius, in the capital Riyadh. The comments came in response to repeated calls by Iran and some other countries urging the kingdom to stop its unlawful military aggression against Yemen.
Islamabad has hit out at the United Arab Emirates for denouncing a recent vote by Pakistani lawmakers to stay out of the ongoing conflict in Yemen as Saudi Arabia continues deadly airstrikes against the impoverished country.In a statement released on Sunday, Pakistan’s Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan criticized Abu Dhabi for “making threats” against Islamabad.”This is not only ironic but a thought-provoking moment that a minister of UAE is hurling threats at Pakistan. The statement of the UAE minister is in stark violation of all diplomatic norms prevalent according to the principals of international relations,” he said.
Nairobi, Kenya (CNN) Kenyan Deputy President William Ruto on Saturday gave the United Nations’ refugee agency three months to relocate refugees from the Dadaab camp — the world’s largest — to Somalia, or “we shall relocate them ourselves.” “The way America changed after 9/11 is the way Kenya will change after Garissa,” Ruto said in Nyeri, according to a statement from his office. Al-Shabaab gunmen stormed Garissa University College in eastern Kenya this month, killing 147 people. Kenya’s government says that attack was masterminded by senior Al-Shabaab leader Mohamed Mohamud, whose “extensive terrorist network within Kenya” extends into the sprawling Dadaab complex, according to a Kenyan government document given to CNN.
DUBAI — Iran sent two warships to the Gulf of Aden on Wednesday, state media reported, establishing a military presence off the coast of Yemen where Saudi Arabia is leading a bombing campaign to oust the Tehran-allied Houthi movement.
The Alborz destroyer and Bushehr support vessel sailed from Bandar Abbas on a mission to protect Iranian shipping from piracy, Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said in comments cited by Press TV.
Saudi Arabia and several Arab allies have imposed an air and naval blockade on Yemen as part of a two-week campaign to oust the Houthis, who have taken most of the country and forced President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to flee to Riyadh.
Originally posted on Bad Government News:
A South Carolina police officer who shot and killed an unarmed man Saturday is being charged with murder, officials announced today.
Police cited witness video that appears to show the moment when the officer fatally shot a driver whom he had pulled over this weekend, and the victim’s family attorney, who gave the video to ABC News, believes it could prove that the officer used excessive force.
North Charleston officer Michael Slager will now be charged with murdering Walter “Lamar” Scott, 50, who died shortly after the Saturday morning incident. A murder conviction in the state could lead to the death penalty or up to 30 years to life in prison, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.
The two videos that Scott family attorney Chris Stewart said were recorded by a bystander, whose name has not been released, appear to show the moments when Scott begins to run…
View original 126 more words